Sunday, 14 March 2010

Yaki Onigiri


I love onigiri but I am not very good at making it. I can't get the hang of the whole firming of the rice and more often than not my onigiri fall apart. I love Maki's guide over at Just Hungry, but I still sometimes have trouble. Does anyone have any tips?

I bought this onigiri shaper from JList.com to help me out and it seemed to work quite well. (I have tried again and failed miserably though.) I was quite excited and had to blog about my success in case I can't repeat it!

The successful onigiri were made with sushi rice cooked as per directions in my rice cooker. I also cooked some chicken breast cut into tiny pieces in my favourite teriyaki sauce. I half-filled my onigiri shaper with rice, added a tiny bit of chicken and some kewpie mayonnaise and then topped it up with more rice and squeezed.

To make them even cooler, I followed this guide from Lunch in a Box to grill the onigiri and make yaki onigiri. I was very glad that I did, I loved the extra flavour that came from the grilled soy and I loved the contrasting textures in the rice. Biggie also gives instructions on how to freeze the onigiri and I was delighted to find that doing so didn't hurt the flavour or texture in any way.

I enjoyed these so much that I have tried making them again a few times, but none have turned out as well as these ones did. I guess I just need to keep practicing.


Thanks to a huge backlog of posts, the posting of this recipe has been a little delayed. It was originally made in October 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment