Sunday 7 October 2007

This month's delicious.

This month's delicious. magazine has got some wonderful light recipes. I've given two a try and they both turned out really well. I've got post-it notes all through the rest of the magazine with all the others I have to try next.

The first was Jamie Oliver's Avocado, Pancetta and Pine Nut Salad (above). It's so simple, just fry some pancetta until crispy, then lightly toast your pine nuts. Put both into a bowl, mix in some baby spinach leaves and avocado slices and dress with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. It was great.

I was very lucky to get some beautiful avocadoes from my local market. I'm terrible with avocados, I know what I'm supposed to look for in a ripe one, but I can never put it into practice. This time I got lucky. I got two and they were both awesome.

My next recipe was the Master Muesli Recipe from the Toasted Muesli section. I have tried making my own muesli before but I haven't had much success. I liked this one because it was a dry muesli, not one soaked in apple juice or something. I've tried these soaked ones before and they have never been good, I haven't liked them at all. Plus, this one had maple syrup as its main syrup, with honey as a backup. I haven't found a honey I really like yet, so I'm a bit fussy with things with a honey taste. I love maple syrup though.

So, I went into this with high hopes. It didn't disappoint.

It was fairly straightforward. You mix some maple syrup, honey and grapeseed oil in a pan over low heat until combined, then pour the mix over some oats, almonds and brazil nuts (I used a mix of pecans and cashews instead) and then bake until toasted and golden. Once the oat mix has cooled, mix it with some linseed meal (I used an LSA mix), pepitas, sunflower seeds, goji berries and dried apple. At the very last, add some flaxseed oil and stir until well combined. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment