Saturday 26 January 2008

Spice rack makeover, part one

The sorry state of affairs that was my spice collection

I love my spice rack, but it is not the most fashionable of setups. Especially not when compared with someone such as Deb's from Smitten Kitchen, which I have shamelessly copied in this makeover because I loved it so and wanted one of my very own.

The problem with all my spices was that there was no uniformity in size or shape of their containers. The Masterfoods jars are slightly smaller than the McCormick's ones, and the gourmet market sells the ones that are in the resealable packets and are not in jars at all! So I had my jars on the rack and the overflow jars and packets in little trays in the pantry. The jars are stacked two deep, which makes it very difficult to find things.

Now, armed with inspiration from Deb, it was time for a change.

I found some seamless tins online at a candle supply store for $1 for a 2 oz tin. I bought 20 on a whim, as I was not sure how big 2 oz would be, or indeed if they were airtight or even suitable for what I wanted to do. However, they were perfect. The only problem I had was that I have more than 20 spices, so I was only able to do half of the makeover today. The picture below gives you an idea of what I'm aiming for though - it's making me a very happy camper!!!!

Beautiful half-finished spice rack

And here are the sad, left-behind spices waiting for my next order of tins.

No comments:

Post a Comment