Wednesday 6 February 2008

Paprikash

Chicken paprikash with buttered pasta

mise en place

bubbling

Chicken Paprikash
Courtesy of Brent Bowser of Recipezaar

1 whole chicken (cut into pieces) - My note: I used four breast fillets, cut into pieces
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbs paprika
4 tbs butter
1 can chicken broth - My note: I used a 500ml carton
4 tbs sour cream
1/2 cup flour (optional) - My note: I only needed a tablespoon

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven

2. Stir paprika into the melted butter

3. Add the onions and saute until softened, remove onions from pan. You may need to add an extra tbs of butter (My note: I had heaps - almost too much)

4. Add the chicken to the pan and brown in the butter/paprika mix.

5. Add the chicken broth and onions and simmer for 1 hour, covered (My note: my chicken breasts did not need this long, and I removed the lid and turned up the heat for the last 10 minutes to try and reduce the sauce)

6. Once the chicken is cooked through, stir through the sour cream and flour (if using). (My note: I removed the chicken from the pan before adding the sour cream and flour so I could stir the sauce without having to move chicken pieces around, and then brought the sauce back to the boil whisking gently to combine and thicken)

I served this over pasta. It was very nice, but not very diet friendly - that was a lot of butter! The flavour was beautiful though - very deep and almost soothing in its creaminess. I don't use paprika very often and I enjoyed this so much I might have to look at using it more.

1 comment:

  1. This look wonderful! I'll be giving this one a go!
    thanks,
    Michelle

    www.colouronaplate.blogspot.com
    p.s. keep up the practising with the photos! I love taking piccies! I'm lucky enough to have a digital slr.

    ReplyDelete