Monday 3 March 2008

Comfort food


Ihaws searching for comfort food one day, so I prepared the batter for Nigella's Molten Chocolate Babycakes. I've read lots about these wonderous pots of chocolate lava and how fantastic they are but I have never tried them myself. Recently I had purchased a bag of good quality couverture 60% chocolate, I had to break in my new custard cups and I've been watching Nigella's latest DVD release so all the signs were there telling me to make these.

They were ridiculously easy for how much enjoyment you get from eating them. I did forget to line the bottom of my ramekin though, and that did mean that it was difficult to get the cake out, plus I found it difficult to lift up the inverted ramekin because I couldn't get a grip on it. So, once I got it out, it didn't look very appetizing, so you only get a picture of it in it's custard cup.

I had halved the recipe and kept the batter in the fridge to be turned into solitary delights when I was feeling a little down. Below is the recipe I used, but you can find the official recipe with accurate measurements (which makes 6) here.



Molten Chocolate Babycakes

from 'How to Be a Domestic Goddess' by Nigella Lawson

Makes 3 small puddings

25g soft unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
175g best dark chocolate
75g caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
25g plain or Italian 00 flour

3 individual pudding moulds, buttered
baking parchment

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Line the base of the pudding moulds with baking parchment.

Melt the chocolate and let it cool slightly. Cream together the butter and sugar, and gradually beat in the eggs and salt, then the vanilla. Now add the flour, and when it is all smoothly combined scrape in the cooled chocolate, blending it to a smooth batter.

Divide the batter between the moulds and place on a tray in the oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes (add 2 minutes if you had prepared them in advance and they are fridge cold) and as soon as you take them out of the oven, tip them out onto small plates or shallow bowls. Serve with whipped cream, creme fraiche or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment