Saturday 19 April 2008

Garlic Prawns with Pasta


I love seafood, prawns especially. DD does not like seafood at all, even the smell makes him feel ill, so this does present a problem sometimes. I tend to like frozen boxes of fish and prawns and calamari so I can have some seafood when he's not home. Sometimes it doesn't quite rate as highly as fresh seafood but it's heaps better than no seafood!

I am pretty particular with my frozen seafood though. I see some of those boxes which are only 40% fish and shudder. However I tried a box of Safcol prawns in herb and garlic sauce (55% prawn, which isn't ideal, but there's a heap of sauce and it's not processed meat, so I deal) and found them to be delicious, even if they are quite oily. This recipe comes from the back of the box.

Garlic Prawns with Pasta
adapted from the back of a Safcol Prawns in Herb and Garlic Sauce box.

125g angel hair pasta
olive oil spray
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine
handful baby spinach leaves
juice of half a lemon

Cook the pasta according to packet directions.

In a large frying pan sprayed lightly with olive oil spray, cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly golden.

Stir oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and wine into the onion mix. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.

Add prawns to the pan and cook until they become firm and pink, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the prawn mixture and spinach leaves to the pasta and toss lightly to mix. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the pasta and serve.

I mixed my pasta and prawns in the frypan, rather than dirtying another dish. However, as I said above, the prepackaged sauce is really oily/greasy. Next time I think I will risk the prawns not absorbing the wine onion flavour and cook them separately, so I can cut out a lot of the oiliness. The dish was beautifully flavoured though. The lemon really hightened the garlicy wine flavour and the baby spinach added a pleasing touch of green.

This made a huge serving, and would probably serve two people. I was greedy and ate the lot myself though.

No comments:

Post a Comment