Tuesday 22 April 2008

Kao Pad Krapao (Thai basil fried rice)


This dish is a great light meal bursting with Thai flavours that work so well together. It's really easy too, the only thing that would stop me from making this all the time is that it needs Thai (holy) basil. This is one thing that I don't have very often, because it's not normally stocked in my local food stores. However, yesterday I did have a massive bunch which I bought from the Broadway Growers' Markets so when dinner time came around, this recipe started calling me.

It's a fairly standard fried rice recipe, cook your meat, add some cooled cooked rice and then stir through your flavourings. The difference comes in the fish sauce/sugar/soy/lime liquid and the heady aromatic handfuls of herbs that you stir through right at the end. It is very very good.

Kao Pad Krapao
Adapted from Sue L's recipe on Recipezaar

1 tsp grapeseed oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red chilli, seeds removed
500g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
3 cups cold cooked rice
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup Thai holy basil
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander

In a wok or large skillet, stir fry onion in oil until softened. Add the garlic and stir fry until golden. Add the chillies and chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked

Add rice, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice and mix gently

When well mixed, add the basil and coriander and cooked another minute or so.

Serve with lime wedges.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I made this sans coriander (accidentally bought parsley :() but it was delicious none the less. This is my favourite Thai dish and I haven't been able to find any place in the city that has it on the menu, so I'm super happy to be able to make it for myself.

    ReplyDelete