Friday 11 April 2008

Mechoui - Marinated Lamb Backstrap


I am really enjoying Food Safari. I got so hooked on it that the day after I saw the first episode on SBS I scoured shops looking for the DVD(s). I snaffled the last copy of season two from the ABC Shop in Carindale, and couldn't find any other copies of season one or season two anywhere in that area. In the end I found a whole stock of them at the ABC Shop and at JB Hifi in Chermside, so maybe the people living around Carindale really like the show?

Anyway, I was watching the Morrocan show and loved the marinated lamb backstraps they made. I really wanted to try it, but DD doesn't like lamb. He was working a late shift which meant he tended to skip dinner, so I took the opportunity to make a slightly modified version for me and our flatmate.

I love cumin and sweet paprika and I love coriander and lemon, so I couldn't see how this couldn't be good. It's really easy, just marinade some lamb backstraps (or stir-fry lamb pieces, in my case) in some cumin, sweet paprika, garlic, coriander, parsley, lemon and olive oil for a couple hours and then grill to medium rare. Easy!!

I did make a few changes to the above because I had run out of parsley. It was quite innovative, or so I tell myself, and made use of the fresh produce I had gotten at the farmer's market a few days before. Anyway, instead of parsley I used some finely chopped spring onion and garlic chives. I also added a small chopped chilli, seeds removed.

Everyone says to serve the lamb with some minted yoghurt, and as I just happened to have some reduced fat Jalna Greek style yoghurt about to expire and some fresh mint leaves
in the fridge, all the signs pointed to me having it too. I loved the yoghurt, it was so fresh and creamy and lightly flavoured. Nobody else likes yoghurt in this house, and it was way too much for me to eat by myself so I regrettably had to throw the rest of it out a few days after the meal.

The lamb stir fry pieces don't look quite as impressive as a lamb backstrap, but they still tasted amazing. I'll have to make this again the next time DD isn't eating dinner.

Mechoui (Marinated Lamb Backstrap)
adapted from Morrocan Food Safari

500g lamb stir fry pieces
1/2 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs sweet paprika
salt
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs chopped coriander leaves
1 chopped spring onion
2 chopped garlic chives
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil

Put lamb in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients. Using hands, combine to cover all of the lamb.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Grill to medium rare on the BBQ (or in a frypan)

Serve with minted yoghurt.


Minted Yoghurt
adapted from Moroccan Food Safari

1 cup Greek yoghurt
¼ teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves

Blend ingredients in a blender and serve with Mechoui (Marinated Lamb Backstrap).

No comments:

Post a Comment