Monday 23 June 2008

Sydney Market Roundup - Frenchs Forest Organic Market


Sunday morning dawned grey and drizzly, but armed with umbrellas we set out for Frenchs Forest Organic Markets. These markets have a little bit of sentimental value to me, as these were the very first Sydney markets DD and I visited right at the beginning of my interest in food. They are classic growers' markets and very little has changed in the 12 months between our visits.

There were some lovely German smallgoods, Japanese omelettes, bacon and egg rolls, a wonderful stall selling nuts (see below), there was beautiful bread, great coffee, fantastic flavoured olive oils and a Gympie Farm butter stall!


I had to buy some Gympie Farm butter so I could start buying some of the amazing bread I kept seeing. I was a little surprised (I don't know why, it does make sense when you think about it) that the tubs were $1 more expensive in Sydney and they had cool Gympie Farm stickers on them (I'm easily amused). The salted butter we bought from these markets was seriously salted too, with salt flecks quite visible in the butter. The salted butter we normally get is much less obviously salted and is more multi purpose. The Sydney butter was, however, quite perfect for tasting a wide range of sourdoughs and ciabattas.


Frenchs Forest Organic Market
Parkway Hotel
Frenchs Forest Rd East
Frenchs Forest, NSW
Open every Sunday, 8:30am - 1:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment