Friday 25 July 2008

Chicken and Udon Stirfry


Pinky from The Poison Doughnut posted the most amazing looking stirfry the other day. It looked so good that I had to try it for myself.

I had some problems though: DD doesn't eat seafood, I didn't have any beans and the udon noodles that I did have wouldn't have fed the three of us, so I had to make some adaptations. I still want to make it as written, but one day when I'm by myself.

I substituted chicken for the prawns and I marinated the chicken in Chang's Chinese Master Stock Sauce, which is a mix of soy, rice wine, ginger, star anise and cassia, and some chilli to give it some flavour. I found some snow peas in the fridge, so in they went and I stirred through 3/4 cup chopped Thai basil and coriander. I used thin egg noodles in place of udon, but at the last minute decided that I really wanted to try the udon so made up a packet of that as well.

It was gorgeous. So very yummy and flavourful. I love the udon noodles (I've never had them before) and it tasted like something you would buy from an Asian restaurant. I was very happy with it. Thanks so much Pinky!

Chicken and Udon Stirfry
Adapted from The Poison Doughnut

500g chicken stirfry strips
1/3 cup Chang's Chinese Master Stock Sauce
1/2 tsp minced chilli
1 packet longlife thin egg noodles
handful snow peas, sliced into strips
chopped galangal, ginger and garlic
light soy sauce
peanut oil
1/4 cup Thai basil, chopped
1/3 cup coriander, chopped
chilli oil and sesame oil for sprinkling

Heat peanut oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the galangal and ginger and stir until fragrant (30 seconds). Add the chicken and garlic and stirfry until chicken is cooked through. Add the snow peas and herbs and toss through. Remove to a bowl.

Return pan to heat. (Pinky says to rinse the noodles here, I didn't notice that and just threw them in). Add a tiny bit more peanut oil and fry the noodles over a high heat for about 4 minutes or until the outside of the noodles becomes slightly crispy. Add a splash of light soy and stir through.

Stir the noodles through the chicken and snow peas and sprinkle with chili and/or sesame oil to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment