Friday 8 August 2008

Beef and Guiness Pie (minus the pie part)


I'm trying to broaden our slow cooking horizons with different flavours. This time I tried to do a beef and guiness pie filling, in a stew style (does that make sense?). I did use a recipe from Australian Table as a guide, but really it was quite simple to make up as you went along.

It turned out quite well. I would have liked a richer darker gravy sauce than the soupy sauce we ended up with. I tried to strengthen the flavour by adding vegemite and soy sauce, which made it better but it wasn't the silky rich flavour I was hoping for.

Beef and Guiness Stew
Adapted from Australian Table July 2008, p 88

1kg chuck steak
2 tbs grapeseed oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 can Guiness
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs vegemite
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks

Place all ingredients but the vegemite, soy sauce and sweet potato into the slow cooker and turn it on. Using my Breville, it took 6 hours on Auto.

1 hour before serving, taste the sauce for seasoning. If it needs it, add vegemite and soy to taste. Add sweet potato and cook for a further hour.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment