Tuesday 12 August 2008

Tiramisu


I had this really odd hankering for tiramisu last weekend. It was very strange as it just came out of the blue. I thought that tiramisu would be a nice light change to the cupcakes I've been making lately, so we made sure to pick up some marscarpone and savioardi biscuits on the way home.

I chose a recipe from Food Safari. I haven't been cooking from it much lately, but looking at the website made me realise just how much I enjoyed the show. Although, trying to pick the places where they are shopping for supplies from the really small credits is pretty hard.

It was so easy! The mixer did most of the work, and although I didn't quite have the patience to beat my egg yolks until they were really really white, the marscarpone/egg yolk cream tasted amazing. In my coffee mix I cheated a bit as I don't have an espresso machine and I didn't have any espresso-strength coffee, so my coffee was good quality instant. I used marsala and kahlua as my liqueurs.

I didn't add much of either alcohol as I'm a not a big drinker, but there was enough there to make me a little tipsy as I layered my tiramisu. I love sovioardi biscuits and I had put aside a few for me to snack on. I dipped one in to taste the coffee and then things deteriorated to a point where I was picking up the biscuit, dunking it into the coffee and then spooning some of the marscarpone over the top. Luckily I had assembled my proper ones before this happened, but it still wasn't really a flattering look. I enjoyed myself immensely though.

Before this happened I had already decided to make a "chef's treat" in the form of a very small tiramisu assembled in the marscarpone tub.


This one got a chance to set in the fridge before I got to it the next day. I love tiramisu.

Tiramisu
adapted from Italian Food Safari

3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup caster sugar
250g mascarpone
Hot strong coffee
A splash of Marsala and Kahlua
Savioardi biscuits
Chocolate flakes

Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and white. This will take at least 15 minutes. Add the mascarpone and beat until just combined and smooth.

Combine coffee with liqueurs. Quickly dip biscuits, a few at a time, into coffee mixture. Set aside on a plate to cool.

In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until thick and stiff and gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.

Layer biscuits into individual glass bowls, alternately with the mascarpone cream. Refrigerate for 2-3 hrs or longer, preferably. Finish with a sprinkling of good chocolate over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment