Friday 26 September 2008

Thai Green Curry


Following my success with my Tom Kha Gai, I decided to try my hand at making a green curry. This one wasn't quite as visually successful as the hot and sour soup, but it still tasted pretty good. It wasn't perfect and I can definately improve on it next time.

In the class we were told that it's best to use a mortar and pestle when making the curry paste because the food processor/blender takes away all the texture. I was lazy, however, and everything went in my food processor. Next time I might try the blender as the food processor didn't get it as smooth as I would have liked. The flavour was really good though, it was pretty much how I wanted it to taste. It wasn't quite as good as the one we made in class though.

I did have some fun trying to add the shrimp paste without DD smelling it. He isn't a fan of any fishy smell, tinned tuna and fish sauce are bad enough to him to warrant some complaining. I don't think I succeeded very well, but I think he was suitably distracted at the time so he didn't notice.

The colour was a little off, but I think that was because I cut down on the amount of chillies and that took out a lot of green. I also didn't have any fresh turmeric. I did try and add some powdered turmeric for colour while cooking the curry, but that turned it a weird yellow colour. I won't be doing that again.

The curry turned out great though. It was as good as any takeaway.


Green Curry Paste
Nahm Prik Kaeng Khiao Wan
Adapted from Mons Ban Sabai Cooking School recipe

3 large green chillies
1 tbs chopped shallots
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs chopped galangal
1 tbs chopped lemongrass (use only the bottom third)
1 tsp chopped coriander root
1 1/2 tsp ground roasted coriander seeds
1/2 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp shrimp paste
Some dried Chinese ginger

Grind all spices in a coffee grinder

Finely chop all ingredients then blend in an electric blender or food processor with a little water.

Green Curry
Kaeng Khiao Wan Kai
Adapted from Mons Ban Sabai Cooking School recipe

300g chicken breast fillets
2 tbs green curry paste
2 carrots, sliced
handful sugar snap peas
400ml coconut milk, separated
500ml chicken stock
kaffir lime leaves
fish sauce
sugar to taste

Fry the chilli paste in thick coconut paste skimmed off the top of the coconut milk until fragrant. Add the meat and brown in the curry paste. Add the rest of the coconut milk, chicken stock and kaffir lime leaves and cook for a few more minutes.

Add the fish sauce and sugar as needed and bring to the boil. Add the vegetables and cook until tender. Serve over steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment