Wednesday 12 November 2008

Spaghetti Bolognaise


I love the idea of Gordon Ramsay's Cookalong Live and I'm very excited that it is a series. I'm less excited about it only being shown in UK and that I'm not able to see it. I've been watching all of the videos on YouTube and one of them is a instructional video on how to make a bolognaise sauce.

I love spaghetti bolognaise but I rarely make it because I can never get the flavour the way I want it, or the way I remember it tasting when my mother made it. I have faith in Gordon though, so we gave his recipe a try.

The ingredients are pretty standard, with a few differences in the milk and the worcestershire. I also added a beef stock cube to make it taste more meaty. We served it with some organic spaghetti and it was the most amazing meal. The best spaghetti bolognaise I have had in years. It would be equal to my mum's bolognaise, which is my favourite. It was meaty and tomato-y and full of flavour. It was awesome and it will be the only way I make bolognaise in the future.

Bolognaise Sauce
from Gordon Ramsay's Cookalong Live episode 2

2 tbsp olive oil
½ large onion, peeled
1 large carrot, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 pinches dried oregano
300g minced beef
1 tbsp tomato purée (I used tomato paste)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
30ml (2 tbsp) red wine
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x beef stock cube
50ml milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a hot pan. Grate the onion and carrot and crush the garlic before frying together. Season with the bay leaf, a pinch of oregano, Worcestershire sauce and a little salt and pepper. Allow the onion to soften before making a well in the centre of the pan. Place the mince in the middle of the pan and stir to break it up. Add the tomato puree and allow to cook out for 30 seconds. Continue until all the meat has browned nicely. Add the wine and cook off the alcohol before adding the tomatoes. Leave to simmer for a further 2-3 minutes. Finally add the milk, turn off the heat and set aside.

Serve over cooked pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment