Thursday 23 July 2009

Dulce de Leche


I love public holidays, even when D has to work and I am home alone because I get to browse through heaps of online recipe sites and blogs and cook whatever takes my fancy.

This post on Not Quite Nigella inspired my fancy on Labour Day, especially because it didn't involve boiling a can to get tasty caramelness. I have never actually tasted dulce de leche before but I have read about it on many blogs and I was intrigued. Sweetened condensed milk is awesome in so many forms, so I couldn't see any way that by baking it in a water bath could be wrong.

It was extremely simple but still lots of fun. Simply pour your condensed milk into a pie dish, cover it with foil and pop it into a water bath and bake it until nice and golden brown.

It was amazing. Such a lovely milky caramel. NQN says that you should wait until it cools and then mix until smooth. Mine did come together quite smoothly but I still had grainy flecks throughout. I'm not quite sure why and it didn't affect the final taste, but I do still wish that it was silky smooth.

There are so many things that you can do with this, but my favourite was simply dipping in apple slices.

It was a great way to spend a public holiday.

See Not Quite Nigella's post here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment