Wednesday 18 November 2009

Huevos Rancheros


My recent foray into Mexican food has made me quite excited to try and experiment further with these flavours. I was actually looking for something to make for breakfast and came across this recipe for Huevos Rancheros on Recipezaar. While this isn't normally accepted breakfast food, I've never been one for traditional breakfast fare and this appealed to me greatly.

It was really easy too, and cooked to perfection on the stove. My last attempt to cook runny eggs seemed foolproof but failed twice. This one seemed more perilous, but surprisingly enough turned out divinely runny yolks. Creamy yolk combined with the flavoured tomato sauce was a fresh explosion of flavour that made for a perfect breakfast.

I did jazz it up a bit. After omitting the chillis entirely, I added a squirt of sriracha sauce, some of the beef machaca and pico de gallo and some sour cream and cheese and served it with some tortillas fried in a small frying pan with a spray of olive oil. I will definately make this again.

Mexican Huevos Rancheros
adapted from Sharon123's recipe on Recipezaar

1 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 onion, chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
3/4 cup passata
2 eggs

In large skillet, heat olive oil. Add the onion and cook until tender.

Add tomato, garlic, oregano, salt, sriracha and passata and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Break eggs, one at a time, into cup and slip into sauce and simmer over low heat until eggs are set, about 5 minutes.

Serve over tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment