Wednesday 2 December 2009

Okonomiyaki


One of the stalls at the brilliant Eumundi Markets makes awesome looking okonomiyaki. I've never tried it, because D isn't a fan of some Japanese flavours but I have spent a lot of time watching him trying to work out how he makes them.

I decided to give it a try at home, so I went looking for a recipe. I found this recipe at Because you can't make a meal out of Pocky. I liked this recipe because there were no ingredients that were too unusual and I had everything on hand. It was easy too. You just need to mix some flour, eggs, water and spring onions together and then mix through some Chinese cabbage. Then you put some meat (I used some teriyaki chicken) into a small frypan and then add the cabbage mix. Form it into a disc and flip it over when the bottom colours. I had trouble keeping mine together. I think I may have used too much cabbage. After the bottom has coloured, top with some okonomiyaki sauce (ketchup, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce mixed together) and some Japanese mayonnaise and sprinkle with shredded nori.

Despite being mainly cabbage, this was quite filling. The only problem I had with it was that it was a little bland, I added some salt, but it still felt that it was missing something. Maybe it was because I went for the recipe that didn't use the more obscure ingredients. I'm not sure. More experimentation is needed.

If you'd like to try this recipe for yourself, see this post on Because you can't make a meal out of Pocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment