Sunday 3 January 2010

Cake Balls


Behold my finished cake balls!! I may have gone into raptures over the tres leches cake, but my colleagues adored these little chocolatey cakey nuggets.

I blogged about my first attempt at making cake balls, which wasn't satisfying, in this previous post. In that attempt I used a packet mix cake to try and minimise the effort, but it didn't work out that well. So, this time I used one of the red velvet cakes.

To make the balls, you take a cooled cake and crumble it into a bowl. Stir through some icing and then roll the mix into balls. One approx 8" round cake still makes a lot of balls.


Pop them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Then, you roll them in melted chocolate.

I used this recipe from Bakerella as my inspiration, and she recommends melting the chocolate a little at a time to stop the chocolate cooling and thickening while you work. I followed her advice and it was much easier.

They were quite fiddly to roll and I had to stop a few times because I was losing patience with the whole thing. Despite this, they turned out quite well.

As I mentioned above, my colleagues loved these. I didn't mind them, but I didn't love them. I didn't think that the flavour of the cake and frosting came across and it just became a gooey centred sweet. My colleagues, on the other hand, were raving about them to other people and I was having frequent visitors to my office saying "I hear you have these chocolate balls that are awesome?". Heh. A few of my colleagues even asked for the recipe. This is the first time that's ever happened.

As good as they were, I still prefer my tres leches cake.

Thanks to a huge backlog of posts, the posting of this recipe has been a little delayed. It was originally made in September 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment