Wednesday 27 January 2010

Chocolate Idiot Cake

a slice of the baby tasting cake

I don't know about you, but when I'm browsing through food blogs and I come across a recipe called a Chocolate Idiot Cake, I have to make that cake and I have to make that cake pretty much straight away. Even if the recipe wasn't from fabulous pastry chef David Lebovitz. Since the recipe was from fabulous pastry chef David Lebovitz, I grabbed my laptop and headed straight for the kitchen.

I wasn't just aimlessly baking, we did have plans to go to a friend's house for dinner but due a scheduling conflict we were only going to be able to make it for dessert so we volunteered to bring something. David says that this cake, in addition to being idiot-proof, can keep for several days when well wrapped in the fridge. Since I was making this the day before, the cake just kept getting more and more perfect.

Well, there was a small complication. D loves flourless chocolate cake and he was a little disappointed that he wouldn't get to taste it until the next day. I felt sorry for him and since my springform tin is a little smaller than the 23cm tin recommended, I made him a second, tiny 11cm version to taste.

The cake was so easy to make, and each step looked so pretty I had to take lots of photos. The cake, once cooked, is rich and creamy and fabulous. It melts in your mouth and has an almost mousse-like texture to it. D liked it, but thought that even a small slice of the big cake might be too rich. I disagreed, it was a thin slice of chocolate heaven which matched perfectly with the whipped cream. Who could want for more?

Unfortunately, we hosted a dinner party that night and the well-wrapped cake for the next day met with an unfortunate accident when some beer bottles fell on it and squashed it. I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I had to keep it and eat it myself. I really can't.

Head on over to David's blog where you can find the recipe posted here.

Butter a springform pan and dust with cocoa. I'm so proud of my dusting job

Eggs and sugar whisked together

Chocolate and butter melted together, so beautifully glossy

Chocolate mixture whisked into the eggs and sugar

Ready to go in the water bath

The baby cake cooling

Baby cake ready for tasting

No comments:

Post a Comment