Sunday 17 January 2010

Tortilla Sandwich


I've mentioned before how much I love BBC2's 2002 show The Best. I recently borrowed a copy of the cookbook from the library and tried my best to get through as many recipes as possible before I had to return it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to make as many as I wanted, so I may have to visit the library again soon.

This was inspired by Silvana Franco's Chilli Cheese Tortilla Sandwich, which won the best sandwich. She uses sweet chilli sauce, jarlsberg cheese and parma ham dotted with some basil leaves, but I didn't have any of that. Mine ended up being much much richer and probably ten times more unhealthy. I used some leftover beef machaca, cheddar cheese and some Subway southwest sauce.

It's easy, simply heat a non-stick frying pan and add a flour tortilla. Add your fillings and then top with another tortilla and heat until the bottom is crisp. Flip the stack over and cook for another minute or so until the other side is crisp. You can also add more fillings topped with another tortilla at this stage, just flip once the bottom is crisp and then cook for another minute. You can keep layering like this as much as you like.

I love this idea. It's very versatile and the crispy tortillas add such a nice texture to the finished sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment