Thursday 8 April 2010

Why we blog

Emma The Cake Mistress posted an intriguing question on her blog asking fellow bloggers why we blog. I hadn't had the best day at work and I was a little run down and tired when I read her post and I found that this made me quite reflective. I wrote a detailed comment on her post, but I'll also post it here so you know why my little corner of the internet is here.

Emma asked why we blog, but I took it a little bit further. Why do I blog, and why do I blog about food?

I definitely think that cooking/baking is an outlet for me. I long to be creative, but I've never been the person who's good at drawing or making things look pretty or even developing or creating something myself, so food is a wonderful way for me to be creative or make something within the structure of a recipe. Food Paint-By-Numbers. I love paint-by-numbers. It probably speaks to my control freak perfectionist side too, because you can control the outcome by the way you follow the recipe. (Unless I'm working with pastry, in which case all bets are off. Pastry and I do not like each other).

There's an emotional aspect as well. I'm a very shy person and it's hard for me to give of myself and I'm told that I often come across as being unapproachable. Cooking and baking and then sharing the results with others is my way of reaching out to other people. Blogging is also a way for me to share all the things that I find it difficult to say directly to people. I'm also incredibly proud when a recipe turns out well and I want to share that.

As lame as it sounds, but if you know me and you've been offered something I've made, it's my way of saying 'let's be friends'. Food is very personal to me and I hope that that comes across in my posting.

Thank you very much to you who read my blog. I love looking at my little counter and seeing that people have visited. Please leave comments if you're inclined, I love feedback and suggestions and conversation. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you.

3 comments:

  1. Awww that was quite heart warming. I agree with you when you say it is a way to express yourself as it is very true!

    I don't know if I ever have asked myself why I blog.. I started it because others told me to and I think it is a great place to vent, get others opinions and also to share news.

    Great post!

    www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi A
    I just read your post (it was perfect timing, I have just gotten home from Cairns and am feeling a bit down and blue and reflective and all the rest) and just wanted to say that I found what you said about cooking being a way of being creative SO true. This is exactly what I have felt so many times when I'm around people who can sing, or draw or act or are extroverted "yeah, well I can COOK!". And I love what you wrote about blogging it.

    Love

    E!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a well thought-out comment on my question. I think we have a lot in common! :)
    I too am a shy perfectionist, and baking is a way of sharing a part of me and connecting (pastry is my nemesis as well. Never works out well!). And rest assured, if I make a cake for you, I like you a lot :)

    Looking forward to reading more from your corner of the internets. Here's to more baking. x Emma

    ReplyDelete