Wednesday 19 May 2010

Jazzed up potato chips


During an old episode of Ainsley's Gourmet Express 2, Ainsley made some potato wedges scattered with bacon bits roasted in the oven, topped with some grated cheese to finish. Curiously, he had these as a side to a seafood soup.

I remember visiting New York Fries when they had a store in the Myer Centre and that was my first experience with cheese topped potato chips. I think the serving was something simple like cheese and gravy but I remember I wasn't impressed. The cheese made it sticky and gooey and the chips were soggy. I have never really wanted to try it again. Don't get me wrong, I love chips and gravy, but I do have quite high standards.

Ainsley's take, however, looked quite appetizing. I mean, so many people love bacon. I was cleaning out the freezer and I found a nearly-empty bag of frozen chips and some diced bacon, so I decided to give it a try.

I added the chips and bacon and cooked them for the full recommended cooking time and at the end grated over some sharp cheddar cheese (not very much) and put the tray under a hot grill for a few minutes until the cheese melted.

It was quite nice, but it was difficult to get a mouthful that had a bit of everything in it. Are you supposed to put enough cheese on top to make the bacon stick to the potatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment