Monday 6 September 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and with Miso Butter, Bacon and Roasted Onions


I was one of those kids that hated brussels sprouts. There was nothing good about their flavour or texture. Ever since then, I have been suspicious of the little mini-cabbages, no matter how cool they look on their stalks. Many many blogs out there in the wide world of the internet have tried telling me that I just have not had sprouts properly prepared. Apparently, sprouts are great friends with bacon and adding bacon can do marvellous things.

While shopping the other day, I noticed that there were some bright green baby brussels sprouts. These tinier mini-er cabbages were not as intimidating as their larger counterparts and in a fit of courage, I bought some. I had a few ideas about what I was going to do with them, but in the end I went with something Momofuku inspired. You know, something different.

I prepared the sprouts as if I was going to make brussels sprouts, kimchi puree and bacon, cutting them in half through the core and then browing them on the stovetop and then finishing the cooking in the oven. I then switched gears and starting making corn, miso butter and bacon minus the corn. I figured that if there was ever a recipe that would change my opinion of brussels sprouts, this would be it.

I can't say that I am a brussels sprout convert, but I can definitely see their potential. I don't think I cooked the sprouts for long enough as they were still a bit hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment