Friday 20 July 2007

Spoils of war (or the ugliest set of mixing bowls ever)

After my doctor's appointment today I had the uncontrollable urge to go and buy a noodle cookbook. I love noodles, and I have no idea how to properly utilise their versatility. So, off I went to the little local shopping centre and I wandered first into Kmart and then into the cooking section. Where they had a %-off sale. The last time this happened, I had picked up two enamelled cast-iron pans, an electric knife, a silicon pot holder and a few other non-cooking related bits and pieces before thinking to myself "I had better leave now before things get out of hand" and stopping halfway through the cooking section and heading to the checkouts. I left determined to not go to Kmart's big sales unsupervised again. But then I forgot about it.

So today, I quite happily acquired two 20cm baking tins (for cooking layered cakes because I am really bad at cutting them - don't ask how this makes it easier, I don't know either), a rounded patty tray and the Ugliest Set of Mixing Bowls Ever.



The photo doesn't do them justice, they are really quite ugly. But I didn't have any mising bowls beyond one absolutely massive stainless steel one and one relatively tiny stainless steel one and things were starting to get desperate. These mixing bowls are a set of 6 (nested too!!!) and have a size for everything. They are microwave and dishwasher safe and they were.... (drumroll please) $9. Score! Hee.

On the way home I stopped at an organic supermarket/cafe. I've been there once before when it just opened and wasn't very impressed, so have never gone back. Today I was feeling open minded, and went for a visit. It's improved heaps since it opened, when they hadn't really gotten the supermarket thing ready and it was really just a cafe. It also had really cheap prosciutto!!! Or rather, smaller packets of normal priced proscuitto. Normally I buy shaved proscuitto from my local Zone Fresh Gourmet Market, where it's about $11 for 10 or so slices. This one was $6 and I think there is about 6 slices in there. Since I'm the only one in the house that likes proscuitto, this is a pretty good deal.

I also bought my very first organic chicken breast. I've had free range before, but this my first certified organic. I don't know what to do with him yet, but I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment