Wednesday 1 August 2007

Fabulous Indian Food Store

We visited a lovely Indian specialty food store on the weekend. I was amazed at how many fantastic spices and sauces and rices and things there were, and couldn't believe I've walked past it so many times and have been in there before! I bought some wonderful spice mixes and meal kits and can't wait to go back.

I was prompted to go in there looking for masa harina because I had this strange whim which wanted to make corn tortillas. This whim came about while reading the Homesick Texan's blog, and didn't disappoint.

We had these with some Old El Paso chilli con carne-style minced beef. I love the flavour of these, but the smell was the best. I could just smell the masa harina all day.

We also bought a biryani spice mix, which I mixed with some natural yoghurt and water and then simmer with some cubed chicken and cooked rice (as per the instructions on the box!) for a wonderfully spicy biryani. The boys inhaled this - they had finished and were taking the bowls to the sink before I even started mine. I was talking to my mum on the phone soon after and now she's got me worried I'm not feeding them enough.

Biryani mix

mmm, spice paste

blurry biryani

No comments:

Post a Comment