Monday 10 March 2008

Doughnut french toast


My affair with Nigella continues with this Doughnut French Toast. I had a craving for doughnuts, which is a little strange for me because I'm not a doughnut person. I had been reading JenJen's blog Milk and Cookies and I wanted to try the Baked Nutmeg and Cinnamon Doughnuts. However, I wasn't in the mood for fussing around with yeast, so I tried Nigella instead.

It's ridiculously easy, but after I'd made it I realised that I hate french toast. The soggy inside just turns me off completely. I'm not a fan of any kind of soggy bread, in any form, at any time. It's just unfortunate that I didn't remember this until afterwards.

Doughnut French Toast
from 'Nigella Express' by Nigella Lawson

2 eggs
1/2 cup full fat milk
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
1-ounce butter, plus a drop flavourless oil, for frying
1/4 cup sugar

Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.

Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.

Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan/skillet, fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.

Put the sugar onto a plate and then dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment