Saturday 8 March 2008

Sticky toffee sauce

More Nigella. Did you know that there are three recipes for a sticky toffee sauce in Nigella Feasts? Okay, one is a variation, but there are two different recipes? I wanted the sticky toffee sauce she has over icecream in the 'Comfort Food' episode, but of course, I started making the other one.

It was still okay, the main difference was that the toffee sauce I wanted had more brown sugar and cream, so I just added cream to the other one and it still turned out fantastic. However, it is really sugar heavy and I swear I had a toothache after I finished my dish of ice cream and sauce. However, if a sugary toffee-y warm fudgy sauce over your ice cream gets you excited, give this a try.

Sticky Toffee Sauce
from 'Nigella Feasts' by Nigella Lawson

3/4 cup plus 1 tbs soft dark brown sugar
2 tbs dark corn syrup or golden syrup
3/4 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup heavy cream

Put the sugar, syrup and butter in a pan and slowly bring to a boil, allowing the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve. Let the mixture bubble for a couple of minutes before carefully adding the cream. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce is thick, sticky and glossy.

No comments:

Post a Comment