Monday 8 September 2008

Penne with spicy sausage, ricotta, tomato and chilli


This is another recipe trying to use the wedge of soft ricotta sitting in my fridge. In the same trip to Pennisi's I had bought some fresh chorizo sausage. DD thought I was crazy buying so much "gourmet" stuff just before we moved, but in the end he really like the stuff I made, so I hope he forgave me.

I found this recipe on Taste.com.au and saw that it had ricotta AND feta AND chorizo and it became a recipe to help clean out the fridge.

I loved this dish. I absolutely adored it. It made a huge potful, giving me lunches for the next three days, but I happily ate them because it was that good. I can't describe the flavour, everything in the recipe just combined so well to make a flavour that was different and new and amazing. Try it for yourself, it's really good.

Penne with spicy sausage, ricotta, tomato and chilli
adapted from Australian Good Taste Magazine as published on Taste.com.au

375g dried penne pasta
3 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced diagonally
1 tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tin crushed tomatoes
200g fresh ricotta, crumbled
1 tsp mild chilli spice blend by Gourmet Garden
120g feta, crumbled
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
freshly ground black pepper

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.

Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate.

Heat the oil in the same frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the pasta, tomato, ricotta and chilli. Gently toss until well combined and heated through. Remove from heat.

Add the feta and baby spinach, and gently toss until combined. Taste and season with pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining feta and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment