Friday 24 October 2008

Gingered Chicken with Noodles


This recipe comes from Jamie Oliver's cookbook Jamie's Dinners. I used to really enjoy Jamie Oliver in the early seasons of The Naked Chef, but as he's developed he started putting me off. I don't like watching him now, even though he's trying to do good things.

Anyway, I do own two Jamie Oliver cookbooks and they just don't get used. I made an effort to flip through Jamie's Dinners while making a meal plan and decided to give his recipe for Ginger Chicken with Noodles a try.

The recipe in the book serves one. I didn't read this bit and felt guilty because after my dinner and lunch there was only the smallest serve left for DD, who was sick in bed. Luckily he wasn't feeling up to a large meal and it all worked out for the best.

It was really nice. Everything was lovely, light and flavourful. The ginger and five-spice worked really well together and it was great light meal.

Gingered Chicken with Noodles
from Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver

Serves 1

115g dried medium egg noodles (I used thin Hokkien noodles)
olive oil spray
1 free-range, organic chicken breast cut into strips
thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thingly sliced
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced (I used chilli flakes because I didn't have fresh chillies)
1 tsp five-spice
3 spring onions, finely sliced
a dash of soy sauce
1 tbs runny honey
small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 a lemon

Drop the noodles into a pan of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions. Drain well.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Toss the chicken, ginger and chilli together then add the five spice. Once the chicken is browned, add the spring onions, soy sauce and honey.

Add the noodles and coriander to the chicken. Season to taste and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment