Thursday 23 October 2008

Oreo Balls


One of my friends from my old job is an amazing baker/cook. She would bring in the most wonderful goodies. One of the goodies she brought in were these little balls of decadent chocolatey goodness made from Oreos and cream cheese and some white chocolate. They were rich and creamy - death by chocolate. I asked about the recipe and M said that all there was to it was 2 packets of Oreos and a packet of cream cheese blended together and then dipped in white chocolate.

In the interests of exploring all kinds of food for this food blog, I had to try to make them myself. For research purposes only, you understand.

I did try to make myself believe that they weren't that unhealthy by using light cream cheese. It didn't work, and it probably didn't help the balls either as the light cream cheese's higher water content made the mix a little bit too runny.

They are very easy to make. As I said, my mixture really was a bit runny, I really needed a few more biscuits or I should have added less cream cheese. I think that this wouldn't have been a problem if I had used full fat cream cheese. Because of the runniness, the mix wouldn't roll into balls. I dolloped teaspoon sized spoonfuls onto a tray and put them in the fridge for a few hours to harden up and then I was able to roll them properly.


When I took the balls out to re-roll them, I tasted one and boy, was it sweet. I don't know if that might be a by-product of the light cream cheese too, because M's were nowhere near as sweet as mine were. They were so sweet that you really couldn't eat a ball the size that I had them, so I halved them.

After the balls were rolled, you dip them into melted white chocolate. I'm not normally a fan of white chocolate, I'm not sure why exactly. It's just not really something I would choose to eat. Strangely enought, it turns out that I am a fan of melted white chocolate. Something changes in the taste of white chocolate when it is melted and it becomes so good!!! It's a pity that it goes back to tasting like normal white chocolate when it hardens.

I ran out of white chocolate just before the end of the balls so I rolled the rest in some unsweetened Dutch cocoa. I preferred the ones rolled in cocoa more because the bitterness of the cocoa offset the crazy sweetness of the ball itself. DD loved the white chocolate dipped ones. These were really tasty, but I'm sure our waistlines will appreciate it if I don't make these again for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment