Monday 6 October 2008

Stir-fried Chicken Fillets with Honey and Ginger


I love Chinese five-spice. I love the flavour it gives to things and I get excited whenever I see it used in a recipe. I have been known to go searching for recipes specifically using five-spice because I have a hankering for the flavour. This time I didn't go searching, but I was excited to see this chicken recipe in Kylie Kwong's Simple Chinese Cooking .

Unfortunately, my chicken didn't caramalise like Kylie's did, and it had a distinct grainy texture. This may or may not have been because I used minced ginger in the marinade. It tasted great though. The five spice came through strongly (I like that) and the chicken was packed full of great flavour. Mine was a little dry because I didn't think to save the sauce and drizzle it over everything, but I'll remember for next time. Next time too I might add a bit more honey. I don't know if I made a mistake in the recipe or my exuberant five-spice adding overtook the honey flavour, but I didn't get any in the final dish.

It's definately one to try again, it has great potential and even if I did stuff up this time, it still tasted great. It will be nice to get it perfect though.

Stir-Fried Chicken Fillets with Honey and Ginger
Adapted from "Simple Chinese Cooking" by Kylie Kwong.

500g chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
cooking spray
1 tbs light soy sauce

Marinade
1/4 cup honey
2 tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs shao hsing wine
2 tbs finely diced ginger
1 tbs oyster sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp five-spice powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl with the chicken and marinate, covered, overnight in the fridge.

Spray a large non-stick frying pan or wok with cooking spray and heat to a high temp. Add the chicken in batches and stir fry to brown. Once all the chicken has been lightly browned, add all the chicken to the pan with the soy sauce and stir fry until the chicken is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment