Monday 10 November 2008

Cinnamon Cookies


I was browsing through the forums on Recipezaar looking at all the ways the posters have cut their grocery spending and looking at the budget recipes. One of these low-cost recipes was this recipe for Cinnamon Cookies.

They are really simple cookies and they can be made from ingredients that I always have on hand. They are tasty too!

I've made them twice since discovering the recipe. Both times I have not rolled them in cinnamon sugar before baking becaues I'm lazy. The first time I made it as written and I found them to be quite overbearingly sweet. It could have been a good thing, as you could only have one or two at a time before they starting hurting your teeth, but I wanted a nice gentle cookie. I loved the Classic Nibblers from Mrs Fields and I was looking for a cookie similar to that, since Mrs Fields no longer make the Classic Nibblers - why? oh why?? *sob*.

I tweaked the recipe the second time I made them. I used three quarters of cup of sugar instead of the whole cup and I used half brown sugar and half caster sugar. I added a bit more cinnamon to the second batch also. The second batch were amazing. They were soft (because I tried to keep the cooking time to an absolute minimum) and heady with cinnamon, and they didn't have that sickly sweet too-much-sugar taste to them.

I took them to work and shared them around and the concensus was "more please!"

Cinnamon Cookies
adapted from PetesNina on Recipezaar

3/4 cup sugar (half caster sugar, half brown sugar)
113g butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cream together sugar and butter; beat in egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well.

Shape the dough into small balls. I used (15m) tablespoon sized scoops.

Set cookies 1-inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.

Bake at 180° for 10 minutes or till the edges are lightly browned.

Cool slightly on pans, then remove to racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment