Monday 3 November 2008

Rice Paper Rolls


I love the idea of rice paper rolls, unfortunately I haven't had one that meets my taste expectations. They seem to rely on their dipping sauce to give them flavour and I want rolls that can stand up by themselves.

For these, I browned some chicken mince along with some Thai marinade (from a jar - lemongrass, ginger, coriander etc), julienned ginger and soy. I used the mince, some Chinese cabbage, carrot, spring onions, capsicum and coriander. For the dipping sauce I mixed some light soy and sweet chilli sauce.

They weren't as strong in flavour as I had wanted them to be, but they were still really satisfying. Adding the mince gave it more body and texture than a vegetarian roll, and because there was a very low mince to vegetable ratio, there was still the fresh crispiness when you took your first bite. Next time I will experiment with the mince more. I think I can get more flavour out of it.

They were fresh and fun and tasty. I had to stop myself eating all of them as I made them because I wanted some for lunch. I'm happy with these, but I know I can do better so I'll definately make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment