Saturday 1 November 2008

Teriyaki Chicken with Soba Noodle Salad


I was lazy one night and didn't make my lunch for the following day, leaving me rushing around in the morning looking for something to have for lunch. I had a third of a chicken breast fillet in the fridge and I didn't really want to go to the trouble of sides. I had this recipe for a teriyaki chicken with soba noodle salad kicking around in del.icio.us so I decided to give it a try.

It was really easy, fresh and tasty. It was lovely at room temperature too. It was such a star I made it again for the next day using beef. I love soba noodles.

Teriyaki Chicken with Soba Noodle Salad
from AWW website

1½ tablespoons (30ml) Japanese soy sauce
1½ tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon cooking sake
3 teaspoons sugar
2 chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Soba noodle salad
1 x 90g soba noodles
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon grated ginger
a few drops of sesame oil
1 green onion, cut into thin strips
1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced into ribbons
pinch salt
Coriander for garnish (optional)

Combine soy, mirin, sake and sugar and mix well. Add chicken and stir to coat.

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat; add chicken and stir fry until cooked through. Remove and set aside in a warm place, loosely covered with foil to rest.

Reduce heat to low and pour remaining sauce into the same pan chicken was cooked in. Simmer a few minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened.

Meanwhile, cook soba noodles in boiling water, drain and refresh with cold water and drain again. Toss with remaining ingredients and season with salt.

To serve, pile noodle salad onto plate. Add the chicken, drizzle over remaining sauce and garnish with coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment