Saturday 20 December 2008

The best salad dressing


I found this recipe on Deb's blog Smitten Kitchen, which I love reading. Out of all her fabulous recipes that I love so much, this one would have be near the top of my list. It's creamy, it's tangy, it's fabulous even if you just have it with lettuce or Chinese cabbage.

I have a recipe my grandmother passed down to me for cucumber salad which is cucumber and onion in a dressing of cream, vinegar and sugar. I love this salad so much, but the amount of cream that goes into the dressing means I don't make it very often.

This salad dressing is as good as my beloved cucumber salad and has the benefit of being cream-less. There's buttermilk and a little bit of mayonnaise but they are the only thing to feel guilty about and I think I can live with that.

Buttermilk Dressing
from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until sugar has dissolved, then whisk in chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment