Friday 19 December 2008

Well, it was supposed to be a sausage pilaf


It was supposed to be this Tomato and Sausage Pilaf from Taste.com.au. I had already turned my nose up at a recipe that needed two dishes, so I decided to turn this one into a one pot dish by cooking it all on the stove.

Then I remembered that I had cooked a stovetop paella with sausages not that long ago, and it was really nice except it was a little too flavourless. It made me doubt my Tomato and Sausage Pilaf, so I threw caution to the wind and started combining recipes.

I browned my cheap supermarket sausages for about 10 minutes over a medium heat. Once browned, I removed them from the pan and set them aside.

Add 1 chopped onion and some garlic and olive oil into the hot pan and cook until softened.

Add 1 cup of basmati rice and stir until coated in the onion-garlic oily mix, about 1 minute.

Add 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (I used basil and oregano flavoured ones) and 1 1/2 cups chicken stock. I also added two beef stock cubes and some chilli powder. Stir well and cover.

Simmer over a low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.

I tasted it and found that it was too tomatoey sweet, so I tried adding some BBQ sauce. That really just added another element of sweetness, so I added two more stock cubes and chilli flakes. I also thought the rice was a little undercooked so I added some beef stock (only a tiny bit) and put it back on to heat.

I changed my mind after few minutes (and a tasting) and it became less of a pilaf and more of a stewy casserole. It was very tasty though - a bit like the BBQ sauce they put on meatlovers pizzas.

1 comment:

  1. It looks good - the kids love it when I follow a recipe that goes wrong, they think disasters make the best meals, but they're never exactly replicable.

    ReplyDelete