Tuesday 13 January 2009

Ginger and sesame rice with poached chicken


I found this recipe while randomly googling Bill Granger one day. I bookmarked it, and then never made it. I would keep looking back at it thinking how much I would like to try it, but never cooking it. I've rectified this now, and I can't believe it took me so long because it's so good.

I didn't really read through the recipe when I bookmarked it and for some reason I thought it was just a steamed rice base, but it's actually a more of a pilaf. It's very very easy and also high in protein and relatively low in fat. It could use more vegetables to make it a little bit more balanced, but that's something I'll fix next time.

The sesame flavour comes sesame oil and is very subtle. The ginger flavour shines through, but everything is very gentle and comforting. We both really liked it.

Ginger and sesame rice with poached chicken
from Bill Granger as posted on smh.com.au

1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp sesame oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
250g jasmine rice
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
250g skinless chicken breast, cut into thin escalopes
Finely sliced long green shallots
Freshly chopped red chilli
Soy sauce

Heat the peanut oil and sesame oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and stir occasionally for 5-6 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 2 minutes more.

Add the rice and stir to coat the grains of rice in the oil. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Place the chicken in a single layer on top of the rice. Cover again and simmer for a further 7-8 minutes or until rice is just tender and chicken is cooked through.

Remove from heat and set aside with lid on for a further 5 minutes.

Serve topped with sliced shallots, chilli and drizzle with soy sauce.

1 comment:

  1. hey there

    What veggies do you think would go well with this? I haven't cooked any meat since we got here as its so expensive but this looks so nice I'll have to splurge on a small piece of chicken - but I want to do some veg to accompany!

    xx
    E

    ReplyDelete