Wednesday 25 March 2009

Barbecued spinach and mozzarella pizza


I bought Donna Hay's new book No Time To Cook recently. There are some interesting looking recipes in her book, but one that caught my eye was this Barbecued Spinach and Mozzarella Pizza.

The idea behind it is a simple pizza topping on a pita bread base which is cooked, covered, over a medium heat on a barbecue plate. Donna (or her food stylist) makes it look very substantial and crispy. Mine did not work out too well. We don't have a barbecue (much to my disappointment), so I used a frypan on the stove. Our stove doesn't really do "hot" or even "medium" so I don't think it had the required heat. Also, my ricotta looks much more liquid than hers - I used a low fat variety from the supermarket and I think that when she says fresh ricotta in the recipe she means it.

Mine looks very anaemic. Donna's spinach had a gorgeous dark green hue, and her pancetta had some nice colouring. If I make this again (it's not certain yet) I would brown the pancetta before putting it on the pizza and actually use English spinach rather than baby spinach.

The flavours went very well together, I just didn't like the texture or the sogginess of my attempt. I wasn't much of a fan.

Barbecued Spinach and Mozarella Pizza
from No Time To Cook by Donna Hay

200g English spinach leaves
2 rounds pita bread
240g fresh ricotta
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tsp lemon thyme leaves
6 bocconcini, halved
8 slices pancetta
rocket leaves, to serve

Place spinach in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water for 2 minutes, drain. Squeeze out any remaining moisture using absorbent paper, then roughly chop. Spread pita bread with ricotta and top with spinach, lemon rind, thyme, bocconcini and pancetta. Preheat a char-grill pan (broiler) or barbecue to medium and place the pizza on the cooking surface. Close the lid of the barbecue or place a lid over the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the base is golden and the cheese has melted. Serve with rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment