Tuesday 31 March 2009

Betty Crocker Taste Test


Woolworths had a really good special on Betty Crocker cake mixes one weekend, and I decided to give one a try to see how good they were. I have a friend who loves to bake and she has told me that the Betty Crockers mixes are quite good, without that telltale cake-mix taste so common in other brands.

It was also rather late on a Sunday afternoon and I didn't have anything snacky that I could take to work the next day. I had been reading about Cinnamon Crumb Cakes and I wanted to make that, but by that stage was over an involved America's Test Kitchen recipe. I spotted the Cinnamon Crumble Muffins mix, and I was sold.

I'll spare you the laborious preparation stage and just say that these are actually pretty good. Considering that sprinkling over the cinnamon crumb mix took the most time out of anything, they were very very easy (as you would expect from a packet mix). The best thing was that you couldn't tell they were packet mix. They were very tasty and moist. Even DD, who isn't a big fan of cinnamon, really liked them.

I bake more for the fun of baking that the finished product. I like the beating and the creaming and the mixing and the act of putting it all together, and most of the time I take my goodies to work for my colleagues to eat rather than keeping it for myself and DD. In the rare times that I bake for the finished product, these mixes are a good option to have in the pantry.

I haven't tried to make the brownies yet. DD chose that one, and I have been making other things. I think he may have forgotten about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment