Sunday 15 March 2009

Restaurant Teriyaki Sauce


Phew! Things have been really busy latey and I apologise for nearly a month of no posting. Hopefully, I can get things moving here again.

A little while ago, I mentioned a place I used to frequent that sold the best teriyaki chicken bento boxes. I used to love those bento boxes and I've been trying to recreate them at home. Maki at Just Hungry introduced me to the fabulous recipe for Japanese Potato Salad which is exactly like what I remember, but I couldn't find anything that gave me the saucy slippery teriyaki chicken that was the star of the bento.

I was browsing through Recipezaar and found this recipe for a Restaurant Teriyaki Sauce. It had more than twice the ingredients than the teriyaki recipes I had been using, but I liked where it was going with the addition of honey and cornflour. The difference between what I had been making and what I remembered was that mine have never been particularly saucy, the teriyaki is quite runny and doesn't hold up in a packed lunch, it's more like a marinade. This one is far more robust and saucy and I think it is a pretty good likeness for the teriyaki chicken I remember. It's very tasty and rich with teriyaki flavour. It took a long time to cook down for me, but I've been having stove problems where my hotplate can't maintain a heat so it may not take as long for you.

The next thing to do is to recreate the whole bento. Chicken, rice, potato salad and a little green salad. What a great lunch to look forward to, it may make Monday seem a bit more welcoming.

Restaurant Teriyaki Sauce
from JuniperNW as posted on Recipezaar

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
5 tbs packed brown sugar
1-2 tbs honey
2 tbs cornflour
1/4 cup cold water

Mix all ingredients except for the cornflour and 1/4 cup water in a sauce pan and begin heating

Mix cornflour and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Once sauce has started to boil, add the cornflour mix to the saucepan.

Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness - water can be used to thin it if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment