Friday 12 June 2009

Gingernut Biscuits


I am not quite sure what made me decide to bake a gingernut cookie. I love the idea of your standard gingernut biscuit, but they are too crunchy for me. I wanted something with the texture of soft chewy gingerbread, with the same spicy flavour but with a tad more sweetness.

I found this recipe for Gingernut Biscuits on Taste.com.au. I liked that it had brown sugar and golden syrup, and despite the comments, I was sure that I could make sure mine turned out chewy.

A few of the reviewers commented that these biscuits needed more ginger. If you were after a gingerbread spiciness, then yes, these needed more ginger. However, if it was a more commercial gingernut flavour you were aiming for, these are perfect as written.

The recommended cook time for these is 10-12 minutes. I did 9 1/2 minutes in my slow and dodgy oven, and they were slightly undercooked. I should have put them back in for another minute or so but I was too scared they would crisp up.

Gingernut Biscuits
from taste.com.au

125g butter
100g soft brown sugar
125 ml golden syrup (1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp ground ginger (increase this if you want a spicier biscuit)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tbs boiling water
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour, sifted

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

Combine butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, ginger and cinnamon in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until well combined. Heat, stirring frequently, over medium heat until almost to boiling point and then remove from the heat.

Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the boiling water and then stir into the butter mixture. Add the plain flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Use a teaspoon to spoon the mixture onto the lined baking trays to form rounds about 3cm in diameter. Leave plenty of room for each to spread.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until a medium golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on the trays. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment