Sunday 14 June 2009

Potato oyaki

I was browsing through Maki's Bento Flickr Group and came across her potato oyaki bento. A potato dough that's grilled or pan fried on both sides with a yummy meaty filling?? How could anyone say no to that?

I am always on the lookout for things to bulk up my lunchtime salads, as I find a salad that is low on protein or carbohydrates just doesn't keep me full. I've been using cooked chicken or adding a small tub of potato salad to keep me going, but these looked much cooler.

I used sweet potato rather than normal potatoes because that was what I had on hand, and I love sweet potato. It was great fun mashing them up for the dough as I did not then have a potato masher and was using a fork, not very successfully. I got quite frustrated and ended up taking to the bowl with the electric mixer which probably pulverised the potatoes more than it was meant to, as I needed a little more cornflour to get it to what looked like the right consistency.

The meat saboro is fantastic. I cooked it while the potatoes were cooling, and it was fabulous on its own. I didn't make very much, and we tasted it so many times I was worried I would run out!

The dough was very easy to manipulate after an overnight stay in the fridge. They were very easy to put together and they were fantastic hot straight from the pan or cooled to room temperature. The flavours worked together so well. I can't wait to make these again.

See Maki's blog Just Bento here and here for the recipes. Thank you Maki!

No comments:

Post a Comment