Sunday 19 July 2009

Chicken Bombay


My tiny freezer doesn't really lend itself to much once a month cooking. I really love the idea, it would suit me perfectly because I tend to do most of my cooking on weekends and I would love to have fabulous meals that I can just pull out of the freezer. Unfortunately, as I said before, my freezer is tiny and not very much can fit into it so I'm quite limited in how much of it I can do. That being said, I'm still having fun making the recipes even though I'm only making enough for one meal.

D loves honey mustard chicken. I'm not a big fan as most of the honey mustard recipe bases are just too sweet for me. I found this recipe for chicken bombay on Recipezaar and D was very enthusiastic. I was less so but I agreed to give it a go.

There is quite an astounding amount of butter in the recipe (well, astounding to me). When I made this the second time I cut back the butter quite a bit - maybe using a little less than half of the original amount. You warm all of the sauce ingredients on the stove until combined, then pour over the chicken and pop it in the oven to cook.

It tasted nothing like the honey mustard recipe bases. The curry powder took it to a whole new level and the mustard was really the star. The honey was just there as a nice counterpoint. The chicken was lovely and tender and it was really enjoyable.

It wasn't very saucy and since we served ours with rice it did make a the meal a little dry. I doubled the sauce amounts the second time (but cut back on the butter) and that made sure that there was still a little sauce left to be served on rice. It is an awesome dish.

Chicken Bombay
from *Pamela* on Recipezaar

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon seasoning salt (I omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1.4kg chicken pieces

Combine all ingredients, except chicken, in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until smooth and slightly warmed.

Roll each piece of chicken into the sauce and place in a greased, 9x13 inch baking pan.

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 190°C

Spread remaining sauce over chicken and bake for an additional half hour or until chicken is done.

To freeze: after casserole has cooled, label and freeze for up to 4 months.

To serve: thaw overnight and bake until heated through add an additional 30-45 minutes if baking from frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment