Friday 17 July 2009

Greek Egg and Lemon Soup


I have really been getting into Greek food lately. I'm really loving the flavours and techniques. I found this recipe on Recipezaar. Avgolemono (meaning egg-lemon, according to Wikipedia) is the base of many soups and its quite cool to cook a soup that could curdle on you if you aren't careful.

This recipe was a cheat's version using a microwave. It's so yummy and easy that I haven't tried making it the more traditional way, despite my enjoyment in trying the new techniques. I don't know if cooking it this way stops it from thickening as much as it could, all of the times I have tried it the soup has been quite brothy, however the rice and chicken give it substance and texture.

I love lemony chicken, I love rice and I love a soup dish that only takes fifteen minutes in the microwave. This is awesome. I came down with a severe throat infection not too long after trying this for the first time and this soup was a lifesaver.

Greek Egg-Lemon Soup for the Microwave
by JackieOhNo! on Recipezaar

4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup long grain rice, rinsed and drained
2 large egg yolks
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
2 tbs fresh mint

Place broth and rice in 2-quart microwave-safe casserole. Cover tightly and microwave on High until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes.

Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in medium bowl until blended. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot broth from casserole into egg mixture, then return to casserole and stir to blend. Microwave covered on High until heated through, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with mint and lemon slices; serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment