Monday 10 August 2009

Slow Cooker Risotto


More May Cooking

I've been having a wonderful time exploring the wonders of slowcooking reading Stephanie's blog A Year of Slowcooking. As I've said, D and I love our slowcooker, but thanks to Stephanie's blog we have really broadened our horizons. One of our experiments is this slowcooker risotto.

I love risotto and I have a fantastic recipe which I love, but I've been terribly lazy lately and all I've been making are risotti in the oven so I can avoid any stovetop hovering. Risotto in the slowcooker sounded pretty good.

I added some chopped Italian sausage to our mix and used finely diced onion in place of onion flakes. I started checking my rice at about 1 3/4 hours, but it needed about 2 1/4 to be cooked nicely. We stirred through a tiny bit of butter and some parmesan cheese to finish it off.

The consistency was really impressive. It was just like a creamy risotto cooked in the oven, but not quite as awesome as if it was cooked on the stove. I loved the addition of Italian sausage, but D wasn't really sold. It was very enjoyable and we'll make it again.

See this post on A Year of Slow Cooking for the recipe.

Like this post? Check out my recipe for oven-baked risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment