Sunday 27 September 2009

100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread


I have been slightly obsessed with Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I had so much fun playing around with the recipes on their website that I felt that I had to do the right thing and buy their book and I was so glad I did. I took the book to work and was reading through it and a few of my co-workers made me promise to make them some bread.

I was flipping through and came across the recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread and thought it would be absolutely perfect. The master loaf is slightly modified to replace white flour with whole wheat flour and there's the fabulous addition of honey which adds this beautiful hint of sweetness. The dough smelled amazing while it was rising and baking.

This dough is also the first loaf that actually looks like a loaf. I need much more practice judging how much dough goes in what sized pan, I think.

I shaped the loaf and let it rise as soon as I got up in the morning, although not quite as long as I should have, and then baked it for 50 minutes. The recipe said 50-60 minutes, but I had to go, so I was keeping my fingers crossed. I wrapped the loaf in a clean tea towel and tried to balance it in the car so it could cool. It made my car smell amazing.

In the end, the bread turned out perfectly. I brought some Gympie Farm salted butter to spread over it and the three of us managed to polish off the whole loaf (give or take a few pieces donated to our other curious co-workers who couldn't work out why I was bringing a freshly baked loaf of bread to work) over the course of the day.

This one has been my favourite recipe from the book so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment