Monday 2 November 2009

Sheila's Pudding


In my Blast from the Past post, I found an old picture of an attempt to make Jamie Oliver's Sheila's Pudding. I also realised that I did it really badly and resolved to have another go at it.

This time, I used a tin of unsweetened pie apples and sprinkled over some brown sugar. The pudding topping is extremely easy. Beat together 125g butter, 125g sugar, 125g flour, 2 eggs and some vanilla extract. Spread it over the fruit and then bake. Simple. (I'm still a little shaky, so simple recipes are the only things I can attempt at the moment).

It was awesome. The cakey top is a very light and tasty cake. D doesn't like apples, but he wants me to make the cake on its own for him to eat. The apples were perfectly cooked and just lightly sweetened thanks to the brown sugar. In hindsight I should have added some cinnamon or nutmeg to the apples to add some spice but there is nothing wrong with them as they are.


Sheila's Pudding
adapted from Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef

1 tin thinly sliced pie apples
2 tbs brown sugar
125g sugar
125g butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g self raising flour

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.

Grease and ovenproof pie dish or bowl. Arrange the apple and sprinkle over the brown sugar.

Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour and mix to combine. Spread mix over the apples and bake for approx 45 minutes.

Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment