Monday 11 January 2010

Scones


Once I'd made my kaya I wasn't quite sure how to use it. As I mentioned in my last post, I had an idea to pair the jam with scones as a sweet jam is a perfect match for scones.


I have a favourite scone recipe which I posted about here but I haven't made it for a long time. I haven't tried making them in the oven in this house but I didn't think that there would be a problem. As it turned out, there was a little problem.


Their bottoms were burned! My oven does heat quite erratically and I have had problems with the heat distribution before, but I have found that if I use the top shelf on the highest level (my oven heats from the bottom) things are okay. Obviously, this logic didn't work for my delicate scones. I'm not quite sure how to fix it because I don't want to sacrifice the heat needed to make them rise? Just in case you're wondering, I do have an oven thermometer in there measuring the heat and it isn't too hot so I just don't know what's wrong with the damn thing.

Other than their black bottoms, the scones turned out really well. I couldn't serve them as they were and I wanted to take them to work, so I cut the burnt bit off each scone with a bread knife. Hey, they still taste the same. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment