Tuesday 12 January 2010

Pita Bread


I have been taking pita breads with a variety of fillings to work for lunch lately. I like that the pita isn't as doughy as bread and is quite substantial and tasty and I find it so much more enjoyable stuffing a pita than making a sandwich. I was preparing to head back to work after the Christmas break and I had forgotten to buy pitas for my lunch, so I decided to try and make my own using Deb's recipe on Smitten Kitchen.

The dough was incredibly easy to pull together and I got to use the dough hook for my mixer for the first time. It was very cool watching the hook knead the dough. I was a little too impatient to wait for the full recommended rising time, so I sneakily tore off a small ball of dough to give it a try.


I didn't use the oven/pizza stone method simply because it's so hot here at the moment and the thought of turning on the oven was enough to make you sweat. I tried it on the stovetop but I couldn't get them to puff. I tried again, this time making sure my dough was moist but still no puff. It looked like it was going to or had a little bit, but there was no pocket. I thought about firing up the oven to see if it made a difference, but these made the tastiest flat breads I just slathered them with some hummus and was very very happy. I'll take a salad to work instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment