Thursday 29 April 2010

Mediterranean Chickpea Spread


I'm on a serious wrap kick for work lunches. I love making some spiced yoghurt or taking some tomato chutney or hummus and spreading it on my wrap before topping it with some chicken or Ikea meatballs and salad.

I'm very bored with The Biggest Loser this season. I mean, it's been losing me for a few years now with oversaturation and stupid twists, but this season it has just been an annoyance that I have to sit through before I can watch So You Think You Can Dance because it always runs over time. However. I do like the whole Masterclass idea. I haven't actually seen a Masterclass episode, but I'm all in favour of the idea. I have been regularly checking the website to see what recipes they are making because I do like tasty healthy food.

Their recipe for Mediterranean Salmon Sandwich caught my eye because of my latest salmon addiction. Plus, I love hummus. On the weekend we went to the markets and I bought some beautiful large bunches of fresh herbs, some basil and coriander and mint and parsley so I could give the spread a try.

I doubled the recipe because my can of chickpeas ended up being just over one cup and I wasn't quite sure what I would do with the remainder if I used the stated half a cup. I'm 90% certain I used more than twice the stated amount of fresh herbs, but that can't be bad, can it? I also added some paprika and lemon juice.

It's lovely and tasty. It's got a wonderful chickpea flavour but then a really complex taste from all the herbs and the cumin with just a little bit of lightness from the lemon. I have no doubt it's healthier than my spiced yoghurt too.

Mediterranean Chickpea Spread
from The Biggest Loser

1 cup chickpeas
2 cups mixed herbs - basil, mint, parsley and coriander
2 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp lemon juice

Put all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of that masterclass aswell. I haven't watched an episode, only a few glimpses walking past the lounge.

    I seem to be having cook's block lately and can't think of anything special to make.. May be worth a look as your dip looks sooooo good :)

    www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete